Thirsty Mallard Brewing – The Blog

All the updates from Thirsty Mallard Brewing

The Belgian Strong Dark That Wasn’t

Posted by Jeff on September 17, 2009

Updating my beer blog has been quite the chore… honestly I just forget it’s here!  I’ll add a favorite link to it, or something, and try to update more frequently.

On to the brewing news…

I brewed what was supposed to be a Belgian Strong Dark Ale a few weeks ago (August 29th, to be exact).  I combined it with a club meeting/brew-in at my house.  (By the way, my homebrew club is the Cane Island Alers based out of Katy, Texas.)

Here’s the recipe I used:

Belgian Strong Dark Ale – 5 Gallons

14.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 85.94 %
0.50 lb Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 3.07 %
0.38 lb Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 2.33 %
0.25 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 1.53 %
0.16 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 0.98 %
0.50 oz Magnum [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 30.3 IBU
0.25 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (15 min) Hops 1.4 IBU
0.25 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (0 min) Hops
1.00 lb Belgian Candi Syrup (80.0 SRM) Sugar 6.14 %
1 Pkgs Abbey Ale (White Labs #WLP530) Yeast-Ale  
1 Pkgs Trappist Ale (White Labs #WLP500) Yeast-Ale

So, somewhere along the line (I think the sparge) I screwed up and my efficiency went to hell.  The OG was supposed to be in the high 1.080’s but ended up at 1.068.  In my defense, I was hosting a club meeting and drinking high alcohol beers while brewing.  Not a good combination for success!

I figured I’d fix it later, so I put it in the fermenter, pitched the yeast and went on not worrying about it.  The next day I contemplated adding some DME or some more Belgian candi syrup to bump up the gravity… but in the end, I decided, “Ah screw it.  Let it ferment out and call it a Dubbel.”

And so I did.  After 2 weeks of fermentation it was at 1.010, so it finished out just fine (and at 7.6%ABV).  Tastes alright, but it’s still quite young.  We shall see, I suppose!  Relax.  Don’t worry.  Have a homebrew…

Anyways, I dubbed it the Dubbel Duck and I made this label for my kegerator:  CLICK HERE

Hopefully this weekend I’ll transfer it to secondary and keg it in a week or so.  I figure I’ll give it 3-4 months before tapping, to let it try and reach full potential.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: